Monday, January 30, 2006

What is India?


On Jan 26, India celebrates Republic day.
Early that morning, thanks to our Worldspace Radio there was an overwhelming backdrop of patriotism in the air as we all went about our morning routines. One of us was setting up a little tricolour flag in the living room; another was reading the newspaper while ‘A’ (I’ll call the person A to protect identity) asked a question.
A’s question: “What is India? Is it about you? Is it about me? Or is it a concept?”
I heard this question very feebly amidst the chaos of bathroom singers, the radio, and exasperated complaints of misplaced socks, while I was getting dressed for office. The question kinked my head. I ran up to the living room to confirm if I had actually heard the question right. ‘A’ confirmed.

The question stuck in my head and I kept mumbling it every now and then.It kept ringing in my head, always prompting me to think in those lines, although I wanted to keep myself occupied with other things, I couldn’t get myself to ignore it. The question kept on probing me like a new pimple that makes you want to touch it with your fingers although you know that touching it can only make things worse. Then I gave in to the urge to try and answer that persistent question, here is my answer:

India, on the 55th anniversary of Republic, still remains a mere concept.
The country is the biggest democracy in the world, and exercises freedom of thought and expression. Every Indian has a very private view of the country, a very unique understanding, and a very unique plan for its betterment and future. The India that Gandhi foresaw cannot be the same that Nehru did, the India that I am hoping to see is not the same that my parents would want to see.

Even with our different understandings and views, India has survived as a working democratic nation with the highest number of religions, languages, castes and races in the world. I attribute the country’s success to its existence as a concept, a possibility, an opportunity. Thank God we live in a country that can be built on thoughts and moulded by minds. Jai Hind. (Jai (jay): victory, Hind(hindh): India, short for Hindustan)

As I conclude, I find myself humming a song from the movie Exodus,
“This land is mine, God gave this land to me...”
- Blabbergob
(Sujay Sukumar)

3 Comments:

Blogger hoodawg said...

And congratulations to you and all Indians on your accomplishment! In a world where too many people like to say that certain races, religions, or ethnicities aren't "ready" for democracy or freedom, India stands as an example that not only is everyone "ready" for liberty, everyone deserves it. Now those of us who have been so blessed have to work to preserve it.

10:38 AM  
Blogger plg said...

This is a rather pedestrian question to ask on the heels of such a lofty meditation but where in India are you exactly?

4:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Celebrexsearch.php q meridia Adderall xr ty Watch trapped in the closet chapter 6-12 Gerties butts

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home