Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The day Innocence confronted the Divine Playwright

Ma, when will I get a new dress?
Soon child, sometime soon.
Ma, I want one just like Anita’s.
Okay. Are you done with your homework?
Please ma, every girl talks of her new dress, they asked me when I’d get mine.
Hmmm…
Ma. I’ve decided I’ll go for the same design as Anita’s but not pink like hers, let us buy one that’s orange in color. I love the color orange.
I’ll stitch you a better one sweetheart.
But ma, I want a dress just like Anita’s, all my friends liked it so much. I don’t want you to stitch one ma.
You cannot have a dress like that child, we cannot afford clothes like that.
Please ma, why can’t I have a dress like Anita’s? I have been a good girl ma, haven’t I? Please ma…please…sniff
Stop bothering me now and go do your homework, I’ve got loads of work to finish
Sniff…you always say that…
You want to know why you cannot afford a dress like that. You want to know don’t you, you little fiend? Because your daddy is a poor loser, that’s why….
What do you think you’re telling that girl you wretch?...

"For thyn is the kingdom...power and the glory...forever ....and ever...Amen"

13 Comments:

Blogger EATING POETRY said...

What a great little analogy. It reminded me so much of society and the shattering of innocence.

12:05 PM  
Blogger T said...

tsk tsk, dude thats very disturbing. what u on these days...? working too hard...?

12:23 PM  
Blogger Amzada said...

Sigh.

Er. I suppose that made you blush or feel confused.

It wasn't a confession. Just a poem. Lol.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Sujay Sukumar said...

eating poetry -> thanks for stopping by. Glad it appealed to you.

t -> Hello ma'am. I had a little bhang on Holi. that was the last time I indulged in anything, but the effects must have worn off by now dont you think? thanks for the observation. keep coming back.

nimbu -> your poem was good. twas so 'Up-front'ish, it almost seemed like a confession, well almost.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Prmod Bafna said...

Very beautifully described! love the way you've presented it.. the small things in a society and the effects they'll go on to have are infact, disturbing.. Let it flow!! :)

3:05 PM  
Blogger Sthupit Girl said...

sigh, all right.

that's bery bery sad... but happens all the time. I wonder what the parents are thinking of when they ssay such stuff.. guess they aren't thinking.

sigh.

anyway, thanks for dropping by at my blog. Hope to see you again..

Adios!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Sujay Sukumar said...

Prmod -> I'm flattered. Thank you very much. I appreciate your time.

preetika -> bery bery sad indeed ;)
The parent's obviously arent thinking of the child as much as they are thinking of themselves. Will visit your blog more often.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Dush said...

what a touchy story...beautifully crafted...these things are hapenning everyday in some part of the world...

8:56 PM  
Blogger Sujay Sukumar said...

Dush -> thank you.
Well there are 4 participants in this little play of mine.
1) the little girl - orange font
2) the mother - white font
3) the father - blue font
4) God

Ironically, throughout the play, the father in heaven maintains silence but he does have a vital role, that of a director of the play.

Castor -> was glad to see my poem posted on ur blog.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Sujay Sukumar said...

Anjan -> Thank. Please stop by again.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Yasser Rahman said...

Very well written..got me to read it quite a few times..its true what you did there, this happens so often, parents blaming each other in front of the kids..comes to a point where the kid cant stand either parent.

Sad realities of Life...

1:54 PM  
Blogger White Magpie said...

I was wondering whether the statement "Pop goes the weasel" refers to the father in reality ;) What brought this on?

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! The part "because you're daddy is a poor loser" stings worse than I can say.
Parents should not put kids in the middle and should not disparage each other even if they are divorced or simply not getting along. The negative effect on the kids is far more profound than the desire for a "new dress."

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home